Thursday, January 29, 2009

Logic 8 Pro - Looped audio bits -builds and fades

Just a quick note on something I seem to do a lot lately when working in Logic.
This is for making drum rolls, for creating small transitions to spice up a boring drum section, or can be used to create FX type sounds by stretching audio loops and running fades or plug-in automation.
I use this alot on percussion items, but can be applied to any audio bit. I will take a something like a high hat, cut it down in size to be maybe 1/2 or 1/4 size of original audio file. I will use the cursor in logic to grab the audio bit and draw out a loop:


When you hover your cursor over the top right of the audio sample, the cursor will change and you click and drag out the length of the loop:


Once you have the length of loop you want, right click and choose -> "convert loops to real copies":



This turn the software loop you have created to a series of small audio files. Use your key commands to select the glue tool; press the ESC key and press the number "6" to change the cursor to the glue tool, click the group of audio files you created in the last step:


This will create a new audio file based on the loop sequence, click "create":



You now have new audio file of the loop;



Press the "w" key to open the sample editor;



I usually fade the new files in -or- out; in this case I faded out to create a small transition at the end of a measure. Goto -> functions -> fade out.

Here is a sample loop that has been processed, faded-in on most of the sample and faded-out at the end;




Here are some audio clips:

Here is the original sample.

Here is the processed sample.

-tipon

2 comments:

  1. Can you throw up a couple audio samples of this effect? I think I can follow what's going on, but I want to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy J, er -I mean Pat..

    Will bounce out some audio examples for ya.. please stand by..

    -m

    ReplyDelete