Friday, January 9, 2009

TTM 57SL Mixer for Scratch Live


http://www.rane.com/ttm57sl.html

In the beginning of the digital Dj mixing era with cdplayers, I told myself, and others, that I would never switch over the digital side of dj'ing. I did own a CDJ unit to be able to test and try out my own attempts of music production or to play an out a out of print track that was recorded and burned.
Don't get me wrong, mixing with cd's is not easier that mixing vinyl, IMO, it's harder because you can not see the structure (breaksdowns, etc), or how much of the track is left at a glance. What I didn't like about cd-mixers was losing the tactile feeling of the vinyl, how you release the record, how you bump, push or pull the track to get it aligned for a mix.
What I learned to dislike about vinyl is the weight for one, anyone who has Dj'ed knows how luggin just one crate of vinyl will break your back. I also didn't like the fact that you can scratch and destroy the playability of the track by making a simple mistake, most records have a limited press run and hardly ever get re-pressed. The last downer about vinyl is the cost, when a kick ass track get made and pressed for distribution they usually pair it with a not so hot B side track. You are basically paying $9-$12 for one track, sometimes even more if you have to pay for shipping, especially if it is bought and shipped from over the pond.

When digital tracks got paired with time coded vinyl is when I started seriously changing my feelers about the digital Dj'ing . "You mean I can control an mp3 with a real vinyl record"? At first I was didn't believe that it could be as accurate as needed, like a real vinyl record, to my surprise it was. It released the same, stopped the same, when you push/pulled to correct the record it was perfect, I could even scratch with accuracy.

This is in no means a complete review of this product, just a few features that I liked when deciding if I wanted to purchase:

Features:
The Rane 57SL Mixer integrates Serato Scratch Live with Rane hardware. I can control the Scratch Live software interface from the mixer without touching my laptop. The mixer lets you navigate through your library, load tracks, and control effects. What I really like is the integration with the Itunes library and playlists. I just import and create standard playlists, smart playlists (I create em for genres and also bpm range settings). The library in Scratch Live reflects everthing that is in your Itunes library.
The software that runs in the mixer is upgradable and is updated often with general features improvements and added FX. The faders are top notch and magnetic; the most accurate and longest-lasting. Recording with the 57SL is a breeze, you just click record in the interface and off you go. The mixer supports both analog and digital sources, at the same time, you can mix your old vinyl that you have not ripped to mp3 with your digital files. The mixer can also operate in a standalone mode as a standard analog mixer.
As you can see, I am sold on digital dj'ing using the Rane 57SL. Anyone who had doubts about making the switch, feel assured that making the choice to the 57SL is a good one. The price might seem a bit steep at first, but when you realize that your digtal tracks cost you about $.99-$1.50 each compared to the $12 for a single slab of vinyl, the price doesn't seem so bad.


-mixwell

1 comment: